Please note that the features described in this guide require a contracted subscription with Vendasta. Learn more.
Getting Started Checklist
- Set up Vendasta Payments
- Set up tax rates (if applicable)
- Configure default billing settings (Subscriptions)
- Invoice your customers
Set up Vendasta Payments
The following is a brief summary of the steps to set up your Vendasta payments. For full details, including screenshots and help on setting your payment terms of service. please read our complete article on setting up Vendasta payments.
- Go to Partner Center > Administration > Vendasta Payments
- Click Setup Account
- Select your business type (Individual/sole proprietorship, company, or nonprofit organization)
- Complete the form with the information required about your business including legal business name, business number, and business address)
- Add a business contact with information and upload identification for verification
- Click Agree & Submit
- Add your Customer Statement Description (business name that appears on credit card statements for your customers)
- Click Save
- Click Add Bank Account
- Select the country of your bank and currency
- Add account details (refer to a cheque or to your bank for these reference numbers)
- Click Add Bank Account
- Congrats! You're ready to accept payments and receive payouts!
Set up tax rates (if applicable)
- Go to Partner Center > Administration > Tax rates
- Click Create Tax Rate
- Select country, state/province, tax name, rate (%), and optionally include a description or tax number.
- Click Save
- Repeat these steps for each tax rate and for each state/province
Configure default billing settings (Subscriptions)
Subscription billing allows you to automatically collect payment for each product and package renewal for your customers.
To enable subscription billing and configure the default settings, follow these steps:
- Go to Partner Center > Administration > Default billing settings
- Click the slider to turn on subscription billing
- Select Bill customers
- Choose one of the following payment collection method:
- Create a draft invoice that you would need to send manually
- Automatically email an invoice to a recipient of your choice
- Automatically charge a credit card on file and email a receipt
- Choose a collection cadence:
- "Each subscription renewal" will bill on the date of the subscription renewal.
- "The same day of the month" allows you to select a default date for all subscriptions
- Memo allows you to set a default memo line for all invoices.
- Click Save to make these the default subscription billing settings for all new accounts.
Note: Updating the default settings as shown below will only affect new accounts that you add. You can easily configure the subscription billing settings for any account in Partner Center > Businesses > Accounts and then checking under an accounts Subscriptions tab to turn this on for accounts created before configuring your defaults. Learn more here.
Invoice your customers
You can send individual, one-off invoices to your clients. This is great for one-time charges, set up fees, and for collecting the initial payment for new services. To test Vendasta Payments for the first time and experience what your customers would experience, send yourself a $1 invoice and pay it. The money (minus fees) goes back to your account and you will have a good understanding to communicate to your clients.
- Go to Partner Center > Billing > Invoices
- Click Create Invoice
- Select an account to which you will send the invoice
- Select a user to whom the invoice will be sent (you can add users if there isn't one on the account yet)
- Select a due date
- Add items or packages
- When adding an item, start typing and it will search your catalog of products. As you type the name of the product, you can quickly add custom line items by clicking "Use as one-off line item"
- When you add a package, you will have the option to make its contents visible or not. Essentially, showing each product in the package as an individual line item or not.
- Add taxes
- Add them to individual taxes to line items by clicking the ⋮ kabob menu along the line item.
- Click Update default tax to select taxes that are applied to all items on the invoice
- Add a memo line (optional)
Select collection type
- You can email the invoice which will give your customer the opportunity to enter their credit card for the payment
- If they already have a credit card on file (or they have given you their credit card umber) select Charge a payment method on file, then click + Add or select existing payment method
Click Send invoice.
- You will be shown a preview of the invoice. At this time, you can add additional email addresses to send te invoice to.
- When ready, click Send.