When connecting an Instagram account, you or your clients may unfortunately encounter errors. Instagram's APIs are notoriously finicky, though there are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot the issue.
Checking your Instagram and Facebook Connection
It's important to ensure that your Instagram Business Profile is fully linked to a Facebook Page. Please note that this step will need to be completed on your mobile device.
- On your mobile device, open the Instagram app.
- Navigate to > > Settings.
- Select Account > Linked Accounts.
- Select Facebook. Check to ensure your Facebook Page is listed. If it is, please continue to Checking for Admin Access. If it is not, this is almost certainly the reason you are receiving an error, and you will need to revert to a personal account and back again.
Checking for Admin Access
In order to post, you'll need to ensure you have Admin access to the Facebook Page that is linked to your Instagram account.
- On Facebook, go to the Facebook Page that is connected to your Instagram account.
- From Settings > Page Roles > Existing Page roles, check to ensure that you are listed as an Admin. If you are not listed as an Admin, please have a current Admin grant you access or have them connect their account in Social Marketing.
If both a Facebook Page is connected to your Instagram Account and the associated user has an Admin role on the Facebook Page, we recommend resetting your permissions.
Note: This will break your Facebook and Instagram connections in any Social Marketing accounts it is connected in. You will need to manually reconnect these accounts to continue posting once you have finished troubleshooting.
- From Facebook > Settings > Business Integrations, scroll down to the Integrations area and locate Social Reputation.
- Check the box next to Social Reputation and click Remove.
- Leave the checkbox in the dialogue unchecked, then click Remove.
- Go back to Social Marketing and Reconnect the Account.
Changing Instagram to a Personal Account and Back Again
Provided none of the above steps resolved the issue, your Instagram profile must be converted into a Personal Account, then switched back to a Business Profile.
- Open the Instagram app on your mobile device.
- Navigate to > > Settings.
- Under Account, tap Switch Back to Personal Account.
- Tap Switch Back.
- On a computer, go to the Facebook Page > Settings > Instagram.
- Scroll down to the Disconnect Instagram Account section and click Disconnect.
- Confirm by clicking Disconnect.
- Find the Add your Instagram to get started section and click Log In.
- Enter your login credentials and click Log In.
- You should be prompted to set up your Instagram Business Profile. Click Continue on this screen.
Note: If you are not prompted to set up a Business Profile, you may have skipped steps in this section of the guide. Please return to step 1 and try again, being sure to fully complete each step listed.
- Follow the instructions provided by Instagram. Once done, you should see the Instagram Business Profile show in Facebook.
- Head back over to Social Marketing and try connecting your Instagram account again.