Even when business listing information is corrected, those accurate results can be eroded over time by user-generated content and other incorrect data. The business needs to stick with Listing Distribution to ensure they maintain optimal local SEO results. As we expand our offering to publish other information to appropriate sources (i.e. specials, coupons and offers to your social pages), businesses will be encouraged to stay on the system. Some of the benefits of doing so are as follows:
- Publicly available business data is created from yellow pages, white pages directory assistance and phone company records. This data may not be the same data the business itself believes is important. Once you cancel Listing Distribution, there's a chance their data will revert back to these out of date sources. In keeping the subscription active, we submit that information to the data aggregators on a frequent basis to ensure the data remains up to date
- Consistency is key: search engines look for consistent information around the web (among other things) in presenting search results. If the data begins to revert back to old data, the listings may become inconsistent and you may lose the searchability.
- Managing that business listing information is a process, meaning that the data needs to be managed over a long period of time for the sources to both trust and use the information provided. Think of it as a daily vitamin - not a quick fix.
- Listing Distribution helps build a “Citation Effect” by having multiple sources consume and use the same consistent business data. This continues to build after the first year, as new publishers go to these reputable data providers. Two primary positive outcomes occur:
- Google’s WebCrawler finds the same information in multiple places and adds more confidence to their business data, and
- Good backlinks are created, with more referring sources to the business’ website creating better search engine optimization SEO.
- Reviews are becoming increasingly important in the world of search. Review score, source diversity, volume, and recency are all very important factors. Just because their review score may be improved now doesn't mean there isn't a risk of disgruntled customers leaving negative reviews in the future.
- Review management takes time and effort. Like a security system, they're also buying the peace of mind that their online reputation is being protected
When a business decides to discontinue Listing Distribution, they are taking a big risk. This leaves their listings on the data providers open to change, which may result in hundreds of incorrect listings and citations over time. Therefore, although Listing Distribution takes time to create and update listings, it’s important to understand it as a sort of insurance policy. Without Listing Distribution, the client may experience negative outcomes.
Ultimately, by continuing with Listing Distribution, your clients have a proactive reputation strategy rather than a reactive one.